Youth Leadership Council is a Make-A-Wish® program that is beneficial not only to the children who will receive the gift of a wish, but also to the students who make those wishes possible. Lessons learned include the importance of community involvement, leadership skills, self-esteem and teamwork. Students work towards a final goal and make a difference in the life of a child who is fighting overwhelming odds.
As a member, you will have the opportunity to...
Who can apply?
- Make a difference in the lives of children with critical illnesses who have been approved for a wish through Make-A-Wish Alabama.
- Learn new skills from a guest speaker who will be brought in quarterly to teach the students about college scholarships, job interview techniques, credit/student loans, and/or taxes.
- Earn volunteer hours.
- Receive an official recommendation letter that lists all the students' accomplishments throughout the year with YLC.
Applicants must be...
What are the requirements?
- Students in grades 9 through 12.
- Passionate about helping children with critical illnesses.
- Able to attend monthly meetings in the Birmingham area.
Members are required to...
- Commit to a one-year term on the council, August 2018 to May 2019.
- Commit to planning one fundraiser with their school, sports club, church, or family during their term.
- Pledge to raise at least $1,000 for Make-A-Wish Alabama before May 2019.
- Plan to host one awareness activity throughout the term.
- Complete an interview during Summer 2018.
- Attend an orientation during Summer 2018.
- Attend monthly meetings during the term. Any subsequent absences beyond the first two will require a substitute in your place.
YLC Meetings will be scheduled monthly by Make-A-Wish Alabama once council member are selected.
Youth Leadership Council Application
For more information or to submit and application contact:
Community Relations Manager